Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Why I Believe in Fortune Cookies

If you have read my previous blog entitled "My Fondest Dreams" you will know that I tend to put more faith in fortune cookies than I probably should. This all started about three years ago. One rainy fall afternoon I locked my keys in my car over on the west side of town (Rose Park). I found a cop and asked him for some help, but he said that he couldn't help because of liability issues. So I found a phone book and called a locksmith. He said that it would cost about $80 for him to open my door. Then I called my mom because she is a genius and can solve any problem in the world. She had a fantastic idea: she would call the dealership in Preston where my car came from and get the code for the key. I didn't even know that keys had codes. Well, it worked. She got the code- I called a locksmith and gave it to him- then I called my friend Danny, who always rescues me when I'm in trouble, and he agreed to pick up the key and bring it to me. In the meantime, I walked to a nearby Chinese restaraunt to get out of the rain and wait for Danny. I ordered some chicken or something and had a nice meal. Then came the moment that Chinese restaraunts were invented for- the opening of the fortune cookie. I carefully cracked it open (actually I probably just bit half of it off and started chewing), I unfolded the paper, and I read these words: Doors that have previously been closed to you will soon be opened. Within a few minutes Danny arrived with my key- and my car door was no longer closed to me.

No comments: