Wednesday, December 15, 2010

A Curly Wig and Blush

Many years ago, when I was just a kid and my grandma was much younger, she shared Jenny Joseph's poem, "Warning," with me. It's the one that starts: "When I am an old woman I shall wear purple/ With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me./ And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves..." I think my grandma was beginning to experience the sense of social freedom that can come with getting older and didn't want me to think that she had gone crazy when she started wearing strange clothes and picking flowers from other people's gardens. She has continued to age gracefully and is enjoying many of the benefits of her age. Having said that, this woman steals the cake for living up to Joseph's poem:

I was looking for a book in Border's when I found her sporting this curly costume wig and a dizzying amount of blush, enjoying the latest issue of Vogue. I'm still smiling.

No comments: