Monday, January 17, 2011

The Art Institute of Chicago

The Art Institute of Chicago has free admission the entire month of Chicago. I usually can't spend more than two hours in an art museum before I start getting bored so this has been really good for me because I've been able to see the entire museum in several short sessions. Here are a few highlights:


A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of Le Grand Jatte, Georges Seurat


Water Lilies, Claude Monet


American Gothic, Grant Wood


The Old Guitarist, Pablo Picasso


My favorite part of the Art Institute is the building itself. The older wing was built for the World's Columbian Exposition in 1893 and is guarded by a pair of Lions that are often dressed in the uniforms of Chicago's professional sports teams. The Modern wing, designed by Renzo Piano, was completed in 2009. It was designed to be open with an emphasis on vertical elements that seem to float above the ground.











No comments: