Wednesday, October 18, 2006

I've Been Flimped

I suppose that I should use this first blog to explain what it means to be flimped. To be honest, I don't think it really means anything, but some linguist back in the seventies proposed that it would be impossible for a language to have a verb 'to flimp' where 'to flimp something' means 'to kiss a girl who is allergic to that thing'. For example, if I were to flimp whiskey, that would mean that I kissed a girl who is allergic to whiskey. Anyway, its kind of silly, but I don't see why such a word couldn't exist. It would be a good way to talk about people, when you don't want everybody to know who you are talking about. A conversation could go something like this:
Me: "Hey Jonny, how was your weekend?"
Jonny: "Rad"
Me: "What happened that was so great?"
Jonny: "I flimped papaya"
Immediately I would know that he kissed Harriet, because she is the only girl that I know who is allergic to papaya. I do realize that there are some problems with using "flimp"; it requires that both participants in the conversation know who is allergic to what and that the "what" that they are allergic to isn't something like peanuts or bees or cats or penecillin because those things don't narrow it down very well. Anyway, good luck flimping.
(Oh, I should mention that Jonny and Harriet aren't real people [however, they may have been inspired by real people])

2 comments:

caron said...

Maybe I need to integrate that word into my vocabulary, but does it work the other way? I plan on NEVER kissing a girl, so according to your definition, that word can never come out of my mouth. I'll work on redefining it at this end of the valley. I'll let you know how it goes. (And just so you don't feel like you have a stalker, this is Danny's sister. I'm never quite sure if you guys know my real name :) Just kidding! )

daniel.perry said...

I'm deeply dissappointed that you haven't blogged since your first one. You have quite a talent for it. I seem to be addicted and already blogged like 3 times since wednesday. And to think you suggested the idea. Do you have some sort of a life now? Disgusting, that's what it is. Disgusting.